Road & Bridge Infrastructure News

road & bridge

Work On Long-Awaited £200M Lincoln Relief Road To Start As Government Confirms Funds

ByArticle Source LogoNew Civil Engineer (Road)February 19, 20263 min read
New Civil Engineer (Road)

Work on a long‑planned relief road intended to ease congestion around Lincoln is due to start next month after the government confirmed more than £110M in funding.

Balfour Beatty has been appointed contractor for the North Hykeham Relief Road, a new dual carriageway that will run between the A46 and the A15. The scheme is expected to support delivery of about 4,500 new homes around Lincoln by improving access to the city and opening up land for development.

The route will link the A46 Pennells Roundabout with the Lincoln Eastern Bypass and includes a series of new roundabouts at South Hykeham Road, Brant Road and Grantham Road, together with bridges at Station Road and over the River Witham. Other works include additional traffic signals and an arm at the A46 Hykeham Roundabout, an extra arm at the A15 Sleaford Roundabout, a non‑motorised user crossing on Wath Lane and a realignment of Viking Way. The council says the scheme will also incorporate dedicated cycling and walking facilities.

North Hykeham relief road map

Lincolnshire County Council has estimated the total cost of the project at between £180M and £208M. With the government grant of just over £110M now confirmed, the remainder will be met by the council from its own funds and developer contributions; the authority says it will forward‑fund the balance.

Councils and local transport campaigners have for years argued a relief road is needed to reduce traffic through villages and improve safety on local roads. Proponents say the new link will cut journey times into Lincoln and make it easier for businesses and residents to travel across the area.

Work is due to start with groundworks in mid‑March, with an anticipated completion date in May 2029.

The scheme was first proposed in the mid‑2000s and has moved through several planning stages since then.

Roads and buses minister Simon Lightwood said: “Roads are a key link for communities, boosting access to opportunities and jobs, which is why I am delighted to confirm funding for this project.

“We’re putting our money where our mouth is, with a £110M investment that will mean faster journeys and less congestion. I look forward to seeing how it will transform Lincolnshire moving forward.”

Sean Matthews, leader of Lincolnshire County Council, said: “This is a huge milestone for the project. We’ve now cleared the final hurdle of getting the final piece of Lincoln’s ring road built. Now that all funding for the scheme is in place, our focus will be on making sure Balfour Beatty is ready to hit the ground running ahead of breaking ground in March.

“This road will offer huge economic benefits when it’s finished, including opening up land for 4,500 homes and 7ha of employment space. It will also contribute £800M in economic benefits for the county over the next 60 years, which is a massive amount.”

Like what you've read? To receive New Civil Engineer's daily and weekly newsletters click here.

Share Your Insights!

Publish your articles, reach a global audience, and make an impact.

0
Recent Comments
Loading related news…